Wednesday, October 19, 2016

The Giver Blog

October 17, 2016
The event I choose from the novel The Giver to compare to the movie is the ending. In the ending of the novel Jonas said that he saw red yellow and blue lights. But in the movie he didn't see lights he saw a cabin and, in the novel Jonas didn't see a cabin. Also in the movie when he reached the boundary of memories the movie shows the characters getting the memories. But in the novel Jonas didn't really see anything, the novel just said that he saw red yellow and blue lights, music, and runners going through the snow, the novel didn't say if Jonas saw the cabin or if he the memories got to the people of the community. The only thing that the novel and  the movie had in common was when Jonas said “But perhaps it was only an echo” (180) Jonas also said that in the movie. Therefore the novel The Giver and the movie are different.

I think the director choice was ok on choosing Brenton Thwaites to play Jonas. I think that because Brenton Thwaites looked a little bit older than the Jonas in the novel. Jonas in the novel was 11, But in the movie Jonas looked like he was 15 or 16. While reading the book I imagined Jonas having pale eyes about 5,1 or 5,2 and have short hair. But when I saw the movie Jonas looked a lot different. The actor I would've choose would be this guy name Asa Butterfield. He would be a good fit for Jonas because he looks young he has pale eyes like Jonas in the novel. That is why I would choose Asa Butterfield to play Jonas.

The novel The Giver most impacted my understanding than the movie. The novel helped me understand more because when we were reading the novel we had to do the sign post and prediction. That help me understand the book because it makes you stop at every page and go over what happened so far. Also the novel is the original and the movie is a remake so if you watch the movie you wouldn't understand as much if you watched the movie. What also helped me understand better is that I had to write a summary every chapter. That helped me because when I write summary I have to go back and remember main things on what happened every chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment